Marinus Willett Center Opens to the Public
Contact: James M. Perry, Superintendent
Federal, state, and local officials, as well as partner organizations and members of the Rome, New York community, turned out on the evening of July 2nd for the grand opening of the Marinus Willett Collections Management and Education Center at Fort Stanwix National Monument; a project more than two years in the making.
Named in honor of the fort’s second in command during the siege in 1777, the new facility includes exhibits and audio-visual programs to help orient the visiting public, as well as secure museum collection storage space. Construction management for the project was provided by Denver Service Center, and Harpers Ferry Center directed exhibit design and installation.
Among the speakers at the dedication were the Bear Clan Mother of the Oneida Indian Nation and Representative Sherwood Boehlert. Sandy Walter and Don Murphy represented the Northeast Region and the Office of the Director, respectively. Regional media interest was high.
Fort Stanwix National Monument is open seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from April 1 through December 31. Admission to the fort is free. Activities are ongoing unless noted. For more information about upcoming events please call the park at (315) 338-7730. Please visit the park's web page at www.nps.gov/fost for additional information about the park and up to date news about park events.
Did You Know?
Famed American author Herman Melville, who penned such titles as "Moby Dick," was the grandson of American Revolutionary War/Campaign of 1777 hero Col. Peter Gansevoort. More...