Siege of Fort Stanwix: Futile Thunder
Contact: William Sawyer, 315-338-7730
On Saturday, August 13, Fort Stanwix National Monument and the Oneida Indian Nation First Allies Project will present "Futile Thunder" at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the fort's west lawn.This 1-hour artillery program will feature the British use of cannons during the siege of Fort Stanwix in 1777.Throughout the program, there will also be a discussion highlighting the British attempt to conduct a successful siege despite mounting obstacles from the American forces defending the fort.
Fort Stanwix National Monument is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Activities are ongoing unless noted. For more information about upcoming events please call the park at (315) 338-7730. Please visit the park's web page at www.nps.gov/fost for additional information about the park and up-to-date news about park events.
- NPS -
Did You Know?
The 363-mile long original Erie Canal was the longest uninterrupted canal in the world. It included 83 locks and had a rise of 583 feet from the Hudson River to Lake Erie. Boats of 30 ton capacity could be used on the original canal. More...