First Centennial Project Coming to Fort Stanwix NM
Contact: Debbie Conway, 315-336-3113
(Rome, NY) – Podcasts, cell phone tours and websites are part of the “Connecting Stories and Sites” project between Fort Stanwix National Monument and the City of Rome. The National Parks Service (NPS) will work with the City of Rome as they develop two new recreational trails within the city, The Mohawk River Trail and the Canastota to Oriskany section of the Erie Canalway Trail. NPS staff will develop a series of wayside /outdoor exhibits for the trails as well as cell phone tour stops, podcasts, a brochure and a website.
· Lewis and Clark National Historical Park where park rangers and staff will adopt the Class of 2016, today’s fourth-graders, and bring them into the park for special programs several times a year until they graduate from high school.
· Nine national parks across the country will embark on a national effort to discover and catalog all plant and animal life in the national parks – technically speaking, they will conduct all taxa biologic inventories.
· Padre Island National Seashore will expand its project to restore the endangered Kemps ridley sea turtle.
· Upgraded and new interpretive trails at San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, Valley Forge National Historical Park, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument, Point Reyes National Seashore and other parks.
· Restoration of ancient redwood forest and watershed in Redwood National Park.
· Water quality enhancement, restoration of endangered mussels, reintroduction of Trumpeter Swans and wetland habitat learning experiences for visitors at Buffalo National River.
· Creation of the Institute at the Golden Gate to Advance Preservation and Global Stability, Golden Gate National Recreation Area in San Francisco.
· New or expanded Junior Ranger programs at many national parks.
· Expansion of ranger interpretation at the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park and the George Washington Memorial Parkway with new technology including podcasts and videocasts.
· Rejuvenate coral reefs with a community program at Biscayne National Park.
For a complete list of the 2008 National Park Service Centennial Challenge projects and programs please visit www.nps.gov/2016.
Did You Know?
Wampum are white whelk & purple quahog clam shells. Strung together, they are reminders of past events. Wampum belts may serve as a message or letter of introduction. Treaty agreements can be preserved in wampum. These belts are more sacred & valuable to the Haudenosaunee than paper documents. More...