Parking Lot Gazebo at Gateway D
Gazebo at Parking Lot
Fort Smith, founded in 1817 by the U.S. Army to contain a volatile Indian feud, later served as a major supply depot for western military posts, and finally as headquarters of the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. For over 80 years, the federal government used Fort Smith to establish and maintain law and order in the Indian Territory which is present day Oklahoma. Today, Fort Smith National Historic Site preserves the remains of the two military posts and the federal court.
N 35° 23.257’
W 94° 25.852