• Rifle Regiment arriving at Belle Point, 1817. Artwork by Michael Haynes

    Fort Smith

    National Historic Site AR,OK

Additional Fort Smith Postcards

Sebastian County Courthouse in Fort Smith with tall tower over brick structure
Sebastian County Courthouse
Fort Smith, Arkansas

located on the southeast corner of Rogers Avenue and Sixth Street
 

Click here to view a larger image of the postcard in a new window.

The Fort Smith National Historic Site's collection includes postcards of buildings and scenes of downtown Fort Smith and the area near the federal buildings. To view these postcards, click on the small images on the right hand side.

To return to main Postcards of Fort Smith page, click here.

Did You Know?

Park staff and volunteers demonstrating using lindstock and slowmatch to ignite the cannon's primer

The soldiers who came to Fort Smith in 1817 were still using some 18th century technology and drill. The cannon was discharged using a lindstock and slowmatch to ignite the primer, which originally was loose powder or a turkey quill filled with powder.