• Rifle Regiment arriving at Belle Point, 1817. Artwork by Michael Haynes

    Fort Smith

    National Historic Site AR,OK

1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle

 

1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle

Caliber .56-56

Barrel length: 22"

The Spencer was a lever action repeating rifle that held seven metallic cartridges in the stock. To fire the weapon, the lever was moved back and forth to eject a spent cartridge case and load a new one. However, the hammer had to be manually cocked before pulling the trigger. To reload the weapon, a tube with seven cartridges could be put in the stock. In 1865, these rifles were being issued to Union troops. The Second Kansas Cavalry, station in Fort Smith during the Civil War, were issued the Spencer in 1865 to replace their Sharps rifles.

Back to Weapons of Fort Smith

Did You Know?

Trail of Tears Routes

The Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee, (Muscogee) Creek and Seminole Indian tribes were forcibly moved to Indian Territory on what became known as the Trail of Tears. The Arkansas River served as a water route to Fort Smith where they received supplies before crossing the river into Indian Territory.