Post Bakehouse - Tools of the Trade
Tools or props which are found in the bake house at Fort Scott consist of the following:
- Bread pans- made of sheet iron, having a capacity for 15 rations each.
- Wooden bowls and crocks-for stirring and holding the bread dough
- Jug-for holding molasses or other bread flavoring
- Dough trough-used for mixing the yeast and the dough
- Baker's scraper-for cleaning dough from the trough or table and for separating loaves of
bread in the pan.
- Rolling pin
- Brush-for brushing on butter and other flavorings.
- Proofing rack-Bread was stored here overnight until issued to the troops the next day.