Jesús Treviño Fort and Ranch
Jesús Treviño Fort and Ranch, Zapata County, Texas
The Jesús Treviño Rancho is a fortified home in the small town of San Ignacio, Texas, located on the banks of the Río Grande. Jesus Treviño, founder of San Ygnacio, built this 100- by 140-foot sandstone home in 1830, safeguarding family and neighbors during frequent Indian raids. The house became known as Fort Treviño. Later son-in-law Blas Maria Uribe built the loop holed fort, and in 1851 he had a native stone made into a polished sundial that was set into the north wall of the fort. San Ygnacio became a center of trade by the mid-1800s, and the town was the scene of several border skirmishes throughout the years.
Time period: 1830s
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE