Ellis Island is open on a limited basis while repairs continue.
Ellis Island has reopened on a limited basis. Due to the nature of the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy, parts of the historic Main Building and museum remain closed at this time. The museum's artifacts remain in off-site storage. More »
Collection Research and Donations
The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island exhibit program, and research on the history of immigration to the United States, rely on the museum collection as an important source of information. The supportive function of the museum collection is therefore crucial to fulfilling the Park's mission goals to preserve and interpret the history of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. At the present time, less than one percent of the museum collection is on exhibit at both islands.
Research access to the museum collection not on exhibit is by appointment only. A written request clearly describing the reason for the research and the credentials of the researcher is required. All written requests must be submitted at least one week in advance of the desired appointment.
Donations are accepted to the museum collection after review. A letter with background information and images of the artifact(s), textile(s) and/or document(s) is desirable. A donation of a large archival collection does not require images, but a clear description of the contents of the collection is requested. The park cannot guarantee that any donations will be placed on exhibit as the museum collection is primarily used for research and available for loan to other organizations for exhibit or research.
Please send all research or donation requests to Geraldine Santoro, Curator of Collections by e-mail Geraldine_Santoro@nps.gov or mail to Statue of Liberty NM, Liberty Island, New York, NY 10004, ATTN: Curator of Collections.
Did You Know?
When Ellis Island was opened in 1892, the facility bore little resemblance to the Renaissance Revival/Beaux Arts structure that people have come to know today. Made out of Georgia pine, the complex caught fire on June 15, 1897 and burned to the ground in about 6 hours. The current building was opened on December 17, 1900.