• A quiet summer walk through the Marching Bear Group of effigy mounds

    Effigy Mounds

    National Monument Iowa

Operating Hours & Seasons

Effigy Mounds N.M. Visitor Center

Visitor Center

NPS Photo

Visitor Center

The visitor center is OPEN year round except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day and extreme weather conditions.

Spring Hours
-8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Summer Hours
- Memorial Day to Labor Day, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Fall Hours (September 3)
-8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Winter Hours (October 20)
- Weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Through April)

Park Grounds

- Open daily, 362 days / year, sunrise to sunset (weather permitting). Access is offered (only) via 14 miles of hiking trails.


Three miles north of Marquette, Iowa on Hwy 76 along the western shore of the upper Mississippi River.

Special Programs

Special ranger museum talks and Indian mound talks are presented periodically throughout the year.


Museum features artifacts, documents and maps from the monument's archeological collections.

Available Facilities

Auditorium with orientation film showing throughout the day, educational bookstore, restrooms.

Kids hiking through upland forest trail

Hiking along the Fire Point Trail.

NPS Photo

Park Grounds

Access is offered (only) via 14 miles of hiking trails which are open daily sunrise to sunset (weather permitting).

Did You Know?

Fire Point Mound Group

Stephen H. Long, of the U.S. Army's Topographical Engineers, explored and described the Effigy Mounds National Monument region in expeditions undertaken in 1817 and 1823. Long was one of the first to document the presence of mounds in the Upper Mississippi River Valley.