• Above Golden Canyon

    Death Valley

    National Park CA,NV

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »

    Expect high temperatures of 100 to 120 degrees F on your summer visit to Death Valley. Heat related illness is a real possibility. Drink plenty of water and carry extra. Avoid activity in the heat. Travel prepared to survive. Watch for signs of trouble. More »

  • Zabriskie Point to close for repairs

    Starting October 1, 2014 through March 31, 2015, all access to Zabriskie Point and surrounding area will be closed for major rehabilitation work to repair unstable support walls and improve conditions.

Doing Business With The Park

Many activities that take place in Death Valley require a permit. The park routinely issues permits for the activities listed below. If your activity is not listed on this page please contact the Special Permits Office if you meet any of the following criteria for a permit.

Permit processing does take time and our 1-person Special Permits Office processes approximately 600 permits each year. Therefore, you must submit your application along with all required documents at least 60 days before you need the permit—do not expect your application to be processed immediately. All permits are processed in the order they are received. You can expedite your process by reading all of the information regarding your type of permit and by making sure your application package is complete before you send it.

Commercial Use Authorizations

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a permit that authorizes suitable commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances. The following commercial activities are currently authorized in Death Valley National Park. Read the Commercial Use Authorization page for information and applications for CUA's

  • Photography/Art Workshops
  • Guided Hiking
  • Horse & Pack Animal Trips
  • Backcountry Camping
  • Campground Camping
  • Motorcycle Tours
  • Bicycle Tours
  • Guided 4-Wheel Drives
  • Step-On Guide Service
Commercial Bus Tours

Special Use Permits

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large, and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest. The links below will provide additional information and applications:

  • Any group of 20 or more people including Non-Profit or Charitable Organizations, meet-ups, family and friends, etc.
  • Ash Scattering
  • First Amendment
  • Vehicle Testing
  • Wedding or Ceremony
  • Sporting Event—Bicycle or Running - Recently, Death Valley National Park placed a temporary moratorium on issuing special use permits for sporting events within the park while a safety assessment is conducted on these types of events. The outcomes of the safety assessment and recommendations are required before final sporting event applications can be processed. Based on the projected date for completion of the safety assessment (Summer 2014), applications can be submitted for events that are scheduled from October 1, 2014 and beyond. The park will begin processing those applications when the safety review is completed. Findings from the risk assessment may require new conditions that will be required of all event coordinators to meet permit requirements and/or that some events may not be allowed in certain areas or permitted in the future if safety risks cannot be mitigated to an acceptable level. For additional information, please see the Superintendent's Letter and our answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Sporting Event--Bicycle or Running UPDATE: April 23, 2014:

Filming/Photography Permits

Commercial filming or photography requires a filming permit. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras and/or recording devices for personal use, and they are not required for film or video news crews at breaking news events. The application for photography and filming is required in order to evaluate a permit request.

Research Permits

To apply for a scientific research and collecting permit on the National Park Service's "Research Permit and Reporting System" website, go to the RPRS website. The RPRS website has information on the necessary procedures and requirements.


Did You Know?

Evaporation Measurement Tank at Furnace Creek

The average evaporation rate in the bottom of Death Valley is 150 inches a year. Since the average rainfall is less than 2 inches ... the two don't quite meet. More...