Laws & Policies
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms on lands owned by the National Park Service in this Park.
Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this Park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.
Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park is a partnership of private non-profits and other Federal agencies with the National Park Service (NPS). The National Park Service owns or leases relatively little of the lands and historic buildings making up the Park. This limits the effect of the changes made by Public Law 111-24. The following is a listing of each of the five units of the Park that are open for public visitation with the anticipated effect of the change in law.
1. Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center and Wright Cycle Company
The NPS owns or leases almost this entire site. However, most exhibits, activities, and programs are indoors in buildings that are “Federal facilities” and covered by a government-wide rule prohibiting firearms in “Federal facilities.” (18 USC 930 (g) (1))
2. Huffman Prairie Flying Field and Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center
These sites are owned by the U.S. Air Force and Air Force rules control possession of firearms at these locations. Please check with Wright-Patterson AFB before bringing firearms to these locations.
3. Paul Laurence Dunbar State Memorial
This site is owned by the State of Ohio and is covered by Ohio state government rules prohibiting firearms in “State facilities.”
4. Hawthorn Hill and
These sites are owned by private not-for-profit organizations. Ohio law controls the possession of firearms in these locations.
It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this Park. Check with the State of Ohio website for more information.
Did You Know?
The Wright Company, located near West Third Street in Dayton, Ohio, manufactured airplanes, engines, and accessories from 1910 until 1915.