Things To Know Before You Come
Park regulations exist for your safety and for the protections of natural and cultural resources. Please obey all park rules and regulations.
- All plants and animals in the park are fully protected. Regulations prohibit picking and digging of plants, hunting, and metal detecting.
- Feeding, touching, teasing, frightening, or intentional disburbing of wildlife is prohibited.
- Use caution driving the loop road. Please remember that you share the road with pedestrians, bicyclists, delivery trucks, tour buses, motor homes, and motorcycles.
- Park only in designated areas.
- Bicycles are only allowed on the loop road and parking areas. Bicyclists must wear helmets and must travel in the bicycle lane in the same direction as traffic. A bicycle rack is provided in the Visitor Center parking lot.
- Pets are not allowed in the buildings and must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet and attended at all times. Failing to crate, cage, or restrain a pet on a leash is a violation of federal law.
- Picnics are only permitted in the picnic area.
- It is a violation of federal law to climb on monuments.
Pets are only permissible on paved trails and roads and must be on a leash, not to exceed 6 feet, at all times.
Guide dogs for the visually and hearing impaired, etc., are allowed in the Visitor Center.
Each of the major sites in the park is wheelchair accessible, and a wheelchair is available at the Visitor Center. Handicapped parking spaces are located immediately in front of the Visitor Center, picnic area, Scruggs House, and each of the battlefield overlooks. Restrooms are handicapped accessible.
Hearing impaired The audio-visual program, "Cowpens: A Battle Remembered," is has an assistive listening device available. The fiber-optic map program has an assistive listening device available and has an LED text.
Visually impaired The park brochure is available in Braille.
Other The park brochure is available in German, Spanish, and Japanese. Restrooms are equipped with changing tables and toddler safety seats.
LODGING AND FOOD
There is no camping or other lodging in the park. There are several motels within a 15 mile radius.
- There are no food concessions within the park. There are numerous restaurants in nearby Chesnee, Gaffney and Spartanburg SC.
- A soft drink cooler is located inside at the Visitor Center.
- The picnic area is on the auto loop road 1.5 miles from the Visitor Center. The picnic area closes at 4:30 p.m. There are 22 individual tables on a first come-first served basis. One may reserve the picnic shelter in advance for a fee. Call (864) 461-2828 for information.