Mushroom Rock Trail Closed to Horses, Hikers Use Caution
Mushroom Rock Trail is closed to horses due to hazardous conditions caused by recent flooding. Hikers use caution. Trail is washed out in place and may be difficult to follow.
Chiricahua National Monument was established on April 18, 1924 by President Calvin Coolidge, Proclamation No. 1692 (43 Stat. 1946). The enabling legislation states:
“Whereas, certain natural formations, known as “The Pinnacles”, within the Coronado National Forest, in the State of Arizona, are of scientific interest, and it appears that the public interests will be promoted by reserving as much land as may be necessary for the proper protection therof, as a National Monument.”
The original monument was 4,238 acres. Current size is 11,985 acres.
· 6,407 acres were added on June 10, 1938 (Presidential Proclamation No. 228;
52 Stat 1551)
· 440 acre Faraway Ranch was added in 1978 (National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978;
PL 96-625, 92 Stat 3473)
· 900 acres, the Bonita Creek Watershed, were added on August 28, 1984 (The Arizona Wilderness Bill PL 98-406, 98 Stat 1491)
· 9,440 acres were designated as wilderness on October 20, 1976 with 2 acres as potential wilderness (PL 94-567, 90 Stat 2692)
· 900 acres were designated as wilderness on August 28, 1984 (The Arizona Wilderness Bill PL 98-406, 98 Stat 1491)
Today 86% of the park acres are protected as wilderness.
2009: 60,851 people
All-time high, 1993: 127,840 people
Lowest year, 1936: 6,015 people
First year visitation statistics were recorded, 1934: 15,331 people.
Check the Public Use Statistics Office website to search for more information.
Did You Know?
Southeast Arizona was home to the Chiricahua Apache, under the leadership of Cochise. They surrendered for the final time in 1886 and were sent first to Florida and later to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Many found homes in the hills of today's Chirichaua National Monument.