The Big Bend Natural History Association (BBNHA) was established in 1956 as a private, non-profit organization. The Association's goal is to educate the public and increase their understanding and appreciation of the Big Bend Area and what it represents in terms of our historical and natural heritage. BBNHA champions the mission of the National Park Service of interpreting of the scenic, scientific, and historic values of Big Bend and encourages research related to those values. The Association conducts seminars and publishes, prints, or otherwise provides books, maps, and interpretive materials on the Big Bend region. Proceeds fund exhibits, films, interpretive programs, seminars, museum activities, and research.
Among the Association's past and present projects are the following:
Did You Know?
The Harte Ranch section of the North Rosillos Mountains was added to Big Bend National Park in 1987. Property owners Houston H. Harte and Edward H. Harte donated the 67,000 acre ranch to the Texas Nature Conservancy in 1985 with the understanding that it would eventually become part of the park.