Motorcycle Equipment and Operation
Any motorized vehicle operated within the park must comply with Texas motor vehicle laws and be operated ONLY upon park roadways open to the public. MOTORIZED VEHICLES ARE NOT PERMITTED ON PARK TRAILS AND ALL CROSS-COUNTRY OR OFF-ROAD TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED WITHIN THE PARK.
In addition to other traffic regulations, the following apply to operation of motorcycles (including mopeds, motor-assisted bicycles, ATC’s and ATV’s) on all paved and unpaved roads in Big Bend National Park.
- One and not more than two multiple beam head lamps.
- One red tail lamp, which shall include a brake light, white license plate light, and red reflector.
- One rearview mirror located to reflect a view of the roadway for a 200’ distance behind the motorcycle.
- Approved protective headgear must be worn by operator and passenger under the age of 21.
- The operator of the motorcycle must hold a valid license as a MOTORCYCLE OPERATOR and is subject to the restrictions stated upon the license.
- It is a violation to operate a motorcycle without a muffler or with a muffler that produces unusual noises.
- The operator shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat, and shall not carry passengers unless the motorcycle was designed to do so.
ALL BACKCOUNTRY ROADS IN BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK ARE PUBLIC ROADS. ALL VEHICLES DRIVEN ON THESE ROADS MUST BE STREET LEGAL ACCORDING TO THE TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS.