Re-opening Update for Assateague Island National Seashore
November 1, 2012
Rachelle Daigneault, 410-458-6928
Berlin, Maryland - The following provides updated information regarding the limited re-opening of Assateague Island National Seashore in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy:
• The North Ocean Beach parking area is expected to open for day use visitation Friday, November 2 at noon.
• The Verrazano Bridge has been checked out by the Maryland Department of Transportation and deemed safe for vehicular traffic.
• The cycling and pedestrian bridge is severely damaged and will be closed until further notice. Currently, visitors may not walk or ride bicycles across the Verrazano Bridge. Portions of bikes lanes on the island were also damaged and are unsafe.
• The Assateague Island Visitor Center is open 9 am - 5 pm.
• The Old Ferry Landing Road, Bayside Drive, and South Ocean Beach Parking lots are all closed until further notice due to continued high water, unsafe conditions and damaged infrastructure.
• All developed area camping is closed until further notice.
• All back country camping is closed until further notice.
• The Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) zone is closed until further notice.
• All hunting in the National Seashore is closed until further notice.
• The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia is closed until further notice. Ninety-five percent of beach parking has been destroyed.
Horses, deer, and turkey have all been observed going about the business of their days. Large flocks of tree swallows have been showing off their flying skills for employees working to get the park open again. Calls related to visitor access to the National Seashore may be directed to 410-641-1443.
For more information on Assateague Island National Seashore, visit www.nps.gov/asis