Appomattox Court House NHP offers a variety of volunteer and internship opportunities for all ages, and education levels. The following are descriptions of the six divisions APCO has to offer. Read over them and see if there is something here for you!
Administration Division: responsible for the business aspects of the park including: budget, personnel, purchasing and planning.
Cultural Resources: curatorial and museum technician duties include cleaning, cataloging, and photographing artifacts.
Education and Visitor Services Division: this division breaks down into three parts:
1. Visitor Services runs the visitor center, gives tours throughout the village, and collects entrance fees.
2. Education works with school groups and is in charge of the park's summer day camps.
3. Living History does costumed interpretation performed in first person as if it was 1865.
Maintenance Division: helps maintain the historical village, trails, and grounds.
Resource Management: works with biological field studies, surveys, GIS, GPS, helps monitor bird use of various grasslands and identify new species within the park.
Historian: researches subjects related to Appomattox Court House; files and catalogs documents, photographs, and books for the library; and works on special projects.
Due to the limited amount of housing and overall positions for interns, the park requires the following to be sent for applicant consideration:
1. Describe in a cover letter which division you want to apply for, how this internship will benefit your educational career and the period of time you will be available.
2. A resume, three professional or academic reference letters and an unofficial transcript.
3. Please mail, fax, or email all materials to:
Volunteer Coordinator, Appomattox Court House NHP, PO Box 218, Appomattox,VA 24522
Email: e-mail us
Applications must be submitted by:
For Spring internships by November 1st
For Fall internships by June 15th
We recommend a two month minimum for Interpretation, Education, Natural and Curatorial Resource positions.
Benefits for interns:
Thank you for you interest in interning here at Appomattox Court House NHP.
Did You Know?
The name of this village is Appomattox Court House, as was common among many county seats in Virginia. The surrender meeting actually took place in a private home, that of Wilmer McLean.