McLean House (reconstructed)
McLean House, reconstructed 1948-50
The building was originally constructed by Charles Raine as a tavern in 1848, and was purchased by Wilmer McLean in 1863. It was the site of Lee's surrender to Grant on April 9, 1865. In 1893, the building was dismantled in an abortive, privately funded attempt to exhibit it at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago; its structural members were to be re-assembled in Washington, D.C., to house a Civil War museum. It was reconstructed on its original site beginning in 1948, and was dedicated on April 16, 1950, with Robert E. Lee IV and General Ulysses S. Grant III as guests of honor. It was restored in 1998.
Originally constructed in 1848, the well house, encased in latice work in front of the house, was reconstructed in 1950, and preserved in 1995.
McLean House Outside Kitchen and Slave Quarters (reconstructed)
McLean Outside Kitchen, reconstructed.
Originally constructed in 1848, and reconstructed in 1965.The south room of the building's first floor is interpreted as a kitchen, the north space as a weaving room, the second floor as a residence.
McLean Slave Quarters, originally constructed in 1848, was reconstructed in 1965, and is the only building presented as slave quarters in the park.
Appomattox Courthouse (reconstructed)
Appomattox Courthouse, reconstructed 1963-64.
The original courthouse was constructed in 1846, one year after Appomattox County was established. The courthouse played no role in Lee's surrender; it was closed on April 9th because it was Palm Sunday. In 1892, the building burned, and citizens voted to move the county seat to nearby Appomattox Station.
The existing building and square were reconstructed in 1963-64 to function as the park visitor center. The courthouse received further attentions in 1986, 1995, and 2001.
Clover Hill Tavern (restored)
Clover Hill Tavern, 1819 (restored)
The tavern was built by Alexander Patteson in 1819 for travelers on the Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road and was restored in 1954. The building houses a representative exhibit of the printing of thousands of parole passes for the surrendered Confederate soldiers.
Clover Hill Kitchen and Guest House (restored)
Clover Hill Tavern Kitchen and Guest House, 1848 (restored)
The two-story tavern kitchen was built in 1848 and was restored in 1953 and 1997. Tradition holds that the second floor rooms were used as extra housing for tavern guests; the first floor provided food.
Plunkett-Meeks Store (restored)
Plunkett-Meeks Store, 1852 (restored)
The building was constructed in 1852 by John H. Plunkett and was purchased in the early 1860s by Francis Meeks, who served as the local postmaster and druggist. It was later the home of a Presbyterian minister who presented it to his church for use as a manse. While a store, the building was one of the social centers of village life. It was restored in 1959 and 1983. The first floor interior is a single room furnished and interpreted as a general store and post office.
Plunkett-Meeks Storage Building (restored)
Plunkett-Meeks Store Storage Building, ca. 1850
Constructed circa 1850 by John Plunkett, this one-story structure was relocated slightly on the property, restored in 1959, and preserved in 1998.
Plunkett-Meeks store stable, ca. 1850
Constructed circa 1850 and reconstructed in 1949, the stable is in fair condition.
Jones Law Office (restored)
Jones Law Office (formerly known as Kelly House), ca. 1850
This building was constructed as the law office of Crawford Jones around 1850. The exterior was restored in 1963, and it is in fair condition. About 1867, John Robertson, a black shoemaker, and his wife lived here. Robertson purchased the house and land between 1871 and 1876, and his family still held the property when the park was established in the 1930s. The Robertson family graveyard lies in the southwest corner of the lot.
Woodson Law Office (restored)
Woodson Law Office, ca. 1851
This has been interpreted as the law office of John W. Woodson. The office was restored in 1959 and 1985 and is in fair condition. The building is plainly furnished and is typical of the country lawyers' offices found in Virginia county seats of the period.
Appomattox County Jail (restored)
Appomattox County Jail (New Jail), 1860-70
The New County Jail is directly across the Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road from the site of the first county jail. Begun about 1860, but not completed until after the Civil War in 1870. From 1870 until the county seat was moved in 1892, the building served its original function. From that time until 1940, the building was used as the polling station for the Clover Hill magisterial district.
Bocock-Isbell House (restored)
Bocock-Isbell House, 1849-50 (restored)
Brothers Thomas S. and Henry F. Bocock built this house in 1849-50. Thomas served as a member of the U.S. Congress and as Speaker of the Confederate House of Representatives, and Henry was Clerk of the Court for Appomattox County from 1845 to 1860. Lewis Isbell, the Commonwealth Attorney for Appomattox County during the Civil War, lived in the house in 1865. The building was restored in 1948-49 and received further treatment in 1992, 1995, and 1999. The Bocock-Isbell House now serves as Park Headquarters and is not open to the public.
Peers House (restored)
Peers House, ca. 1855
This frame house was built by 1855, when a Mr. McDearmon sold it to William Abbitt, who sold it to D.A. Plunkett in 1856. George Peers, clerk of the court for Appomattox County for 40 years, lived there at the time of the Lee's surrender. Peers bought the house at public auction after Plunkett's death in 1870. It was restored for staff housing in 1954 and is not open to the public.