The Mumma Bible
Daniel Miller donated the leather bound volume to the Dunker congregation in 1853. After the battle Sergeant Nathan Dykeman, 107th New York, took the bible. It remained in his home in Schuyler County, New York until his death in 1903.
Dykeman’s sister decided to return the bible to its rightful owners and sold it to the veterans organization of the 107th New York. They in turn gave it to Mr. John T. Lewis, an African –American who had moved from Maryland to New York. Lewis returned the bible to the Sharpsburg congregation in 1903. It eventually was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society and donated to the National Park Service. Today the Mumma Bible is on display in the visitor center.