When making plans to be interred at Andersonville National Cemetery:
- Contact your preferred Funeral Home.
- Indicate that you/your spouse would like to be interred at Andersonville National Cemetery.
- Provide the Funeral Director with a copy of your/spouse's military discharge (Form DD-214).
- Plan the preferred services.
At the time of your/spouse's death your Funeral Director will:
- Contact Andersonville National Cemetery at 229-924-0343 to schedule the interment.
- Provide the copy of the military discharge paper (DD-214) to the Andersonville National Cemetery.
- Arrange for the placement and closure of a grave liner/vault if the remains are casketed. If cremated, no grave liner/vault is required.
- Arrange for Military honors to be rendered for the veteran if desired by the family.
- Oversee interment services at the Andersonville National Cemetery.
- Place remains at the grave site.
Andersonville National Cemetery staff will (at no cost to the family):
- Verify eligibility for interment.
- Work with your Funeral Director to schedule a time for interment.
- Open and close the grave site.
- Assist with parking of family and guests upon arrival at the cemetery.
- Order the headstone from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Upon arrival, the headstone will be verified for accuracy and then set.
If additional information is needed, please contact:
Andersonville National Cemetery
Andersonville National Historic Site
496 Cemetery Road
Andersonville, GA 31711
229-924-0343, ext. 112 Phone