• North HillSide Photomerge


    National Historic Site Georgia

Park Statistics

While the true measure of a national park is its resources and the way in which visitors find meaning in them, the statistics below provide a number of ways to evaluate the work of the park.

The NPS Public Use Statistics Office has more about national park acreages and visitation. For more information about the agency's budget, visit the NPS Budget Website.



  • July 26, 1865 - Andersonville National Cemetery established by act of Congress and administered by the Department of the Army
  • May 1890 - Prison site purchased by the Georgia Department of the Grand Army of the Republic.
  • 1890-1910 - The prison site is administered by the Woman's Relief Corps, auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic.
  • August 16, 1910 - The prison site is donated by the Woman's Relief Corps to the United States. Both the prison site and the National Cemetery are then managed by the Department of the Army.
  • 1936 - The prison site was officially designated the Andersonville Prison Park by the War Department.
  • October 16, 1970 - Public Law 91-465 authorizes Andersonville National Historic Site.

Source: NPS Redbook, planning documents



The park maintains a total of 514.61 acres. 480.88 acres are owned by the Federal and 33.73 acres of non-federal land managed by the park.

Source: NPS Public Use Statistics Office



Total recreational visits per calendar year:
2012 - 122,883
2011 - 108,812
2010 - 121,535
2009 - 136,267
2008 - 159,592
2007 - 153,686
2006 - 132,153
2005 - 132,466
2004 - 165,929
2003 - 150,661

Source: NPS Public Use Statistics Office


Annual Operating Budget

Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 - $1,452,000 (requested)
FY2012 - $1,436,000
FY2011 - $1,459,000
FY2010 - $1,479,000
FY2009 - $1,380,000
FY2008 - $1,357,000
FY2007 - $1,313,000
FY2006 - $1,293,000
FY2005 - $1,271,000
FY2004 - $1,126,000

Source: NPS Greenbook

Did You Know?

Lock and key to the Andersonville military prison

Very little remains of the original Andersonville prison. On the grounds, only the earthworks remain. Housed in the National Prison of War Museum are the original lock, key, and hinge from the South Gate along with a piece of the deadline and a post from the stockade. Relics from prisoners include a mirror and sewing kit as well as handmade items such as a pipe and rings made of bone.