• North HillSide Photomerge

    Andersonville

    National Historic Site Georgia

Sundial Monument

Stone monument with bronze sundial and plaque

The Sundial monument

NPS/Eric Leonard

The sundial monument was dedicated on Memorial Day 30 May 1911 to commemorate the transfer of the prison park from the Woman's Relief Corps to the United States Army.

The design is of highly polished Barre granite with a bronze tablet on the front side and a bronze sundial on the top surface. On a clear day, one can note that the sundial displays Eastern Standard time with great accuracy.

The monument is located on the prison site about 60 feet south of the North wall and 165 feet east of the West wall.

Did You Know?

A corn plant growing next to a prisoner shelter

A small number of Andersonville prisoners were able to grow crops such as beans and corn. Prisoner diaries and sketches mention this fact and a photograph taken in the summer of 1864 shows corn stalks growing near a shelter. Such an undertaking would require constant guard and demonstrates that prisoners knew they might be captives at Andersonville for quite some time.