Rhode Island Monument
Authorized in 1902, the Rhode Island monument was erected on the prison site near the Wisconsin Monument. Dedication ceremonies were held 30 April 1903.
The monument is rather modest in size, carved from the best Westerly granite. The top front contains the state coat of arms and bronze plates on each face bear the names of the 74 soldiers buried in the National Cemetery. It is of interest to note that one of the names listed is that of Charles F. Curtis, 5th RI Heavy Artillery; one of the notorious Raiders, hanged by the other prisoners.
Did You Know?
Most visitors exploring Andersonville National Cemetery are unaware that the New York monument has an image sculpted on the reverse side of the memorial. The image on the reverse depicts two Andersonville prisoners. One is seen as dejected while the other appears hopeful. An angel approaches the prisoners carrying an olive branch, the symbol of peace, which was used to represent the reconciliation between the North and the South.