• North HillSide Photomerge

    Andersonville

    National Historic Site Georgia

Michigan Monument

Stone monument with a female figure holding a wreath

Michigan Monument

NPS/ANDE

A Michigan monument committee was formed in 1903 under the leadership of J.A. Griffin, a former Andersonville prisoner. Responding to petitions from many posts of the Grand Army of the Republic inspired by Dr. Griffin's committee, the sum of $6,000 was appropriated for the erection of the monument, and the formation of a formal monument commission.

The monument is located on the prison site approximately 290 feet from the North Wall and about 90 feet behind the Massachusetts monument. It was dedicated on 30 May 1904.

Did You Know?

Bronze panel showing a prison scene on the back of a stone monument

Most visitors exploring Andersonville National Cemetery are unaware that the New York monument has an image sculpted on the reverse side of the memorial. The image on the reverse depicts two Andersonville prisoners. One is seen as dejected while the other appears hopeful. An angel approaches the prisoners carrying an olive branch, the symbol of peace, which was used to represent the reconciliation between the North and the South. More...