• Photo of Lemon House, Level #6, and Engine House on a beautiful summer day.

    Allegheny Portage Railroad

    National Historic Site Pennsylvania



All weddings at Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site will take place here, in the park amphitheater. Please note there is no indoor option in the event of either rain or other inclement weather.


Special use permits are required for any activity that provides a benefit to an individual group or organization rather than the public at large. A permit is also required for an activity not initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service that is disruptive or potentially disruptive to normal park operations.

Please note that all weddings at Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site will take place outdoors in the park amphitheater; there is no option to move indoors in the event of either rain or other inclement weather.

A $50 non-refundable application fee must be submitted with the application form for the application to be considered. If the permit is approved and issued, additional fees will be charged to recover costs incurred by the National Park Service for administering the permitted activity.

If you are unsure if the activity you have planned requires a special use permit please call 724-329-8131.

You may download a Special Use Permit (PDF) by using this link: Special Use Permit Form.

Print blank form, complete with pen, sign and mail it in to:

Fort Necessity National Battlefield
c/o Special Permit Coordinator
One Washington Parkway
Farmington, PA 15437

Please note, the application will not be processed until the application fee is paid unless the superintendent has granted a waiver.

Applications for filming do not have interactive fields to complete on-line.

Follow this link for an application for commerical filming/still photography permit (PDF): Short Form 10-931.

Some filming requests, those which include unusual locations or changes to the park for example, will require a slightly different application for commercial filming/still photography permit (PDF): Long Form 10-932.

Attention Photographers: wedding parties, family reunions, and graduates don't need a commercial photography special use permit unless:
1. they are using multiple props in the photo (and items they can hold in their hand like flowers don't count as a prop) and/or
2. they are setting up photography equipment like lights, screens, big tripods, constructing a set ( IE. items that could get in the way of regular visitors) and/or
3. they are using paid models ( wedding parties, graduates and family reunion folks are not considered models since they are not being paid to be in the photo) and/or
4. the photos they are taking will be used to advertise a product and/or
5. the photo will be taken at a location in the park that is normally closed to visitors
6. Or taking the photo in the chosen location would cause an unsafe situation i.e. a photographer is not allowed to stand a wedding party so that they block a doorway or block a stairway, impeding regular visitor traffic.
If any of the above six criteria are met, the photographer will probably need a special use permit.
For further clarification and more information, please contact Chief of Interpretation Megan O'Malley at (814) 886-6156.

Special Use Permit Fees and Frequently Asked Questions

Participants in a permitted activity are required to pay the park entrance fee if they participate in activities normally covered by the fee, including interpretive services or entry to historic buildings.

Did You Know?