Aerology Building Visitor Center
Open all year
Summer (call for dates): 11 am - 8 pm daily
Winter (call for dates): 11 am - 6 pm Tues - Sat
(907) 581-WWII (9944)
The Aleutian World War II Visitor Center is located at the Unalaska airport, within walking distance of both the cruise ship dock and the Grand Aleutian Hotel.
Many of the objects, quotes, and information in the center came directly from Aleutian residents and World War II veterans who have shepherded this project along from the beginning. Exhibits on the Aleutian Campaign and the evacuation and internment of the Unangan (Aleut) people are on display on the lower level of the Aerology Building. The radio room uptairs in the has been reconstructed from 1940s photographs to look as it did during World War II. The Visitor Center regularly shows World War II-era films in its 1940s-style theatre, including "Report from the Aleutians" and "Alaska at War."
The Aerology Building is one of the most intact and architecturally significant World War II buildings in the Aleutian Islands. During the war years, the building served as the central station from which to monitor the unpredictable and harsh weather of Aleutians. World War II pilots relied on the data gathered at the station to complete air missions to and from Dutch Harbor.
Did You Know?
At Dutch Harbor, some Marines enjoyed the Bachelor Officers Quarters (BOQ) of the Naval Operating Base. The BOQ was the officers' club, holding a long bar, nice lounge area and fire place. In the center of the floor laid a terrazzo symbol of the Alaskan Sector Command (ALSEC). This terrazzo symbol was designed by Armand Rizan, and was laid in 1943. Today, it is located at the Museum of the Aleutians.