Operating Hours & Seasons
The hours of operation vary with the season - departures are available about every half hour throughout the day beginning at 9:00am. Evening tours and combined Angel Island - Alcatraz Island tours are also available seasonally. Alcatraz is open every day except Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's day. Alcatraz frequently sells out in advance, as much as a week or more in summer and near holidays. For schedules, prices, and to purchase tickets in advance please visit the .
- Open: All Year
- Phone: (415) 561-4900
- Location: Alcatraz Island is located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay. A ferry, located at Piers 31-33 (cross streets of Embarcadero & Bay Street) will take you to the island. Just remember to make your reservation in advance since this popular attraction tends to sell out up to a week in advance.
- Closures: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. There are various locations on the island that are closed off to the general public certain times of the year, due to the nesting of a variety of sea birds.
- Special Programs: There are various ranger-led programs on a daily basis on Alcatraz. Be sure to check out the ranger programs at the dock as soon as you get off the boat for any of the popular programs on the island. For more information on ticket reservation call (415) 981-ROCK [415.981.7625] or go to www.alcatrazcruises.com.
- Exhibits: Check our website for more information.
- Available Facilities: There are limited bathroom facilities on the island. They are located at the dock and at the top of the island. Food service is available on the ferry—there is no food service on the island. Picnic areas are designated only at the dock.
- Smoking is only allowed in designated areas on the dock.