|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811
Zion National Park will offer free firewood permits for the Lava Point area beginning Monday, October 1 and running through Sunday, October14. These permits will allow the public to gather up to a total of four chords of firewood (see regulations below). Collection times will be daily, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Park personnel will be on site at Lava Point during the above mentioned times to issue free permits and give direction to firewood permittees.
Lava Point is located approximately 25 miles north of Virgin, Utah on the paved Kolob Terrace Road. The final two miles to Lava Point are on a narrow, gravel road that turns to the east off the paved road.
The following regulations apply to all firewood permitees:
- Four chords of firewood per permittee (Volume is estimated and not guaranteed).
- Gather only pre-cut, dead and down wood. The wood has been pre-cut into manageable lengths.
- The use of chainsaws by the public is prohibited in the park.
- No skidding/mechanical or hand dragging is allowed. Wheelbarrows are allowed.
- Please make sure that wood hauling trailers are licensed and in good working condition.
- The permit must be in your possession while gathering and transporting firewood.
- Be safety conscious at all times. Zion National Park does not accept any liability or responsibility for damage incurred by permittee.
- No off-road vehicle travel. Pets are not allowed in the collection area.
- All wood is for personal use only; wood may not be resold or sold commercially.
Most of the pre-cut firewood is white fir that has been down for at least one year and is well cured. The wood is from a thinning operation that the park has conducted over the last few years to reduce the wildland fire threat to the area and for the restoration of aspen stands.
This firewood permit program may be cancelled, suspended or modified at any time due to safety concerns, weather conditions or lack of available wood.
For more information on free firewood permits please phone 435-772-3256.