Three Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established in Zion National Park to accommodate the men completing work projects. The wooden barracks displayed in this picture of a CCC Zion camp held around 200 men. These barracks, as well as a mess hall and recreation building, were provided by the army. The CCC was established through the collaborative efforts of many government agencies, but the army was responsible for the day to day operations of camps. CCC men received their food, clothing, housing, and medical assistance from the army. The army also created a structured routine for men. When the CCC work in Zion was terminated in 1942, many men were able to easily transition from structured CCC life to the structured life of a military man as they fought in World War Two.
Last updated: February 24, 2015