Special Use Permits

Organized gatherings like weddings, church services, public assemblies, as well as the distribution of printed materials or other public expressions of opinion (i.e. First Amendment activities) require a special use permit. A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  1. provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  2. requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  3. is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

For more information regarding Special Use Permits or to determine if your activity requires one, please call 307-344-2115 or email the park with the subject line "Attn: Special Use Permits."

How to Apply

Download and complete the Special Use Permit Application Form (100kb PDF). Applications, along with a $75 non-refundable processing fee, must be received at least two weeks in advance of your event. Send your application to:

Visitor Services Office
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190

Mammoth Chapel

The historic Mammoth Chapel is available for private ceremonies and services. Please complete the Chapel Reservation Form and return it with $100 non-refundable reservation fee to:

Public Affairs
P. O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190

Marriage Licenses

Yellowstone falls within the states of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. A Montana license is more practical if you're planning be married in the north part of the park near Mammoth Hot Springs. A Wyoming license is more practical if your cermony will occur in the interior of the park near Old Faithful, Canyon, Lake, or Grant Villages.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168


(307) 344-7381
Recorded information. For road and weather information, please dial 307-344-2117.

Contact Us