Roads that Open for Fall Bicycling
In November, after most of the roads have closed to wheeled vehicles and while the roads are being prepared for winter use, a brief period of day-use bicycling, walking, jogging, roller blades, roller skis, and similar means of non-motorized travel are permitted, as conditions allow, on the following sections of the Grand Loop Road. Overnight camping is not permitted unless a backcountry use permit had been obtained for a designated backcountry campsite.
- Mammoth Hot Springs to West Yellowstone
- Snake River Entrance Station to West Thumb Junction
- East Entrance to the east end of Sylvan Pass (6 mile corner)
- Tower Junction to the Chittenden Road as conditions allow
- Madison Junction to Old Faithful
- The road from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, to Cooke City, Montana, at the park's Northeast Entrance, is open all year to cyclists and automobiles, weather permitting.
- NPS, concessioner, and/or construction vehicles will also be traveling roadways. Cyclists should ride single file on the right-hand side of the roadway. We recommend wearing a helmet and high visibility clothing. Road conditions will vary. Please use caution when riding.
- An entrance fee is charged at the North Entrance.
- The weather is unpredictable, and severe winter conditions can be encountered at any time.
- There are no services open in the interior of the park and riders should be prepared to take care of all their own needs. Bring food, water, extra clothing, and a bicycle repair kit.
- Water is available only at Madison picnic area and Mammoth.
- There is very limited cell phone coverage; pay phones are available at Canyon, Madison, Mammoth, Norris, and Old Faithful.
- The cleared section of the road may be narrow and covered with a layer of snow and ice, and pullouts may remain filled with snow.
Cyclists are Required to:
- Ride single file to the right.
- If riding before sunrise and after sunset, you must use a forward-facing white light and a rear-facing red light. Travel at night is not recommended.
- Stay 100 yards from bears & wolves and 25 yards from birds and all other wildlife.