There is an average of one bear attack per year in Yellowstone. In separate incidents n 2011 and 2015, three people were killed by bears inside the park. Your safety cannot be guaranteed.
Safe traveling in bear country begins before you hit the trail:
- When you arrive at the park, find out about recent bear activity at a visitor center or backcountry office.
- Know what areas are closed for bear management.
- Before you set out, be sure to learn what to do if you encounter a bear.
- Learn how to reduce your risk of encountering a bear.
- Read best practices for camping in bear country.
- Report all bear encounters and wildlife incidents to a park ranger immediately.
- Please watch our videos and read the information below to help you travel safely in bear country.
- Download and share posters from our "A Bear Doesn't Care" campaign!