|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Morgan Warthin, 307) 344-2015
MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, WY - The National Park Service seeks comments from the public on a proposal to replace the Lewis River Bridge on the South Entrance Road in Yellowstone National Park. The bridge was built in 1960 and is in poor condition. If scheduled, the project could begin in 2020 and end in 2022.
The proposal would include:
- Replace the bridge to a new alignment directly east of the existing bridge
- Reconstruct the road approaching the bridge to match the new alignment
- Reconstruct the parking area on the south side of the bridge
- Reconstruct the two pullouts on each side of the road on the north end of the bridge
- Improve the hydrology of the river by removing four bridge piers located in the river
The Environmental Assessment (EA) for the proposed project would evaluate two alternatives: a no action alternative and one action alternative. In Alternative A, the no action alternative, the road, bridges, and parking areas would remain unchanged. Alternative B would include reconstructing the bridge and widening it to 30-feet, reconstructing the parking lot adjacent to the southwest corner of the bridge, and reconstructing the two pullouts located on the northwest and northeast corners of the bridge. The EA analyzes impacts to wetlands, visitor experience, and the wild and scenic values of the Lewis River.
If the proposal is implemented, construction delays would normally be limited to 30 minutes. There may be some temporary road closures. These closures could consist of regular nighttime closures, and four to six daytime closures lasting from four to six hours each. Any night or day closures would be advertised in advance of occurring. Access to the overlook of the Lewis River Falls would be closed during the duration of the project.
Comments must be received by November 30, 2018. Comments may be submitted online at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/lrb, by hand-delivery, or by mail. Comments will not be accepted by fax, email, or by any other means.
Hand-deliver comments during business hours to: Albright Visitor Center, Attention: Lewis River Bridge Replacement, Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming 82190.
Mail comments to: Lewis River Bridge Replacement, P.O. Box 168, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming 82190.
Public Comment Considerations
- Bulk comments in any format submitted on behalf of others will not be accepted.
- Before including your address, phone number, email, or other personal information, be aware that your entire comment – including your personally identifiable information – may be made public at any time. You may ask us to withhold your personally identifiable information from public review, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
- The proposed project is an undertaking as outlined under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) (36 CFR § 800). We welcome comments about historic properties or other cultural resources that fall within the project area.