|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Morgan Warthin, (307) 344-2015
- The week of July 29, structure fire staff investigated the burned Mount Holmes Fire Lookout, cleaned up the site, and mitigated all of the hazards.
- Staff also repaired the radio repeater.
- The Mount Holmes Trail west of the junction with the Trilobite Lake Trail and the summit of Mount Holmes is now open.
- The investigation confirmed that the building burned from the top down due to a lightning strike.
- At this point, park managers do not have plans to rebuild the lookout.
- Tuesday, July 16, in the afternoon, the historic Mount Holmes Fire Lookout burned to the ground having been struck by lightning from a severe thunderstorm in the area.
- For additional information, please read the July 17, 2019, news release.
Last updated: August 5, 2019