Location 2.5 mile drive from the visitor center down Wukoki Pueblo Rd.
Wukoki is one of the best preserved prehistoric structures within Wupatki national monument, but it has not been reconstructed. The National Park Service partially reinforced the pueblo in 1941 by installing wood braces, props, and wedges. Cement and mud mortars were used to further stabilize the walls. Later a stabilization survey was conducted and the wall again remortared with mud. Test trenches were dug in two of the rooms. This is the only modern excavation of the site.
By 1954 more extensive stabilization was required. Workers used Portland Cement covered with clay mortar made from local soils. They braced the walls internally, using half-inch reinforcing steel, flat steel bars and concrete. Hodden within the masonry, these reinforcements help ensure the stability of this important structure.
Current preservation involves annual stabilization of walls, condition monitoring of both the pueblo structure and the surrounding hillsides, invasive plant removal, and trail maintenance.
Thank you for helping us protect this important heritage site by not climbing on walls, leaving all natural and cultural items in their place, and staying on designated trails.
Last updated: August 28, 2020