Currently, there are 14 designated public-use cabins located within Wrangell-St. Elias. Most of these cabins were old mining, trapping, or hunting cabins that are located on public land and are now owned by the National Park Service.
Important Things to Consider:
- ALL CABINS ARE VERY RUSTIC.
- All cabins are in remote locations.
- Most cabins are accessible only by flying into remote airstrips.
- Cabins are available on a first-come, first-served basis, except the four requiring reservations.
- There are four cabins that require reservations. Reservations can be made up to six months in advance to the day that you are requesting. (Viking Lodge, Caribou Creek, Nugget Creek and Esker Stream cabins).
- Cabins are not regularly maintained.
- There is NO running water or plumbing.
- Each cabin has very basic furnishings including wooden bunks, table/chairs, and a wood-burning stove (except that the Esker Stream Cabin has an oil-burning stove).
- There is a rustic pit-toilet outhouse at each cabin. There is NO running water or plumbing.
- The park does not stock: firewood, water, dishes, supplies, sleeping pads, bedding, or other amenities.
- Please consider bringing your own firewood. There may not be dead and downed wood readily available.
- If you plan to stay in one of the first-come, first-served cabins, you should bring camping gear in case the cabin is already occupied.
- During the summer and especially during hunting season, the cabins are extremely popular, so be prepared for the cabin to be occupied. It is not appropriate to ask to share a cabin with occupants who are already there.
- You must pack out all garbage and leftover food. No food is to be left behind!
- Do not remove or relocate any artifacts or deface any historic buildings.
- Please clean when you leave. In fact, please leave cabins cleaner than when you arrived.
- Do not cut live branches or trees for firewood.
- The maximum use of a cabin per person is 7 nights in a 30 day period, unless you have written permission from the superintendent.
RESERVATIONS There are four cabins that require reservations, which can be made up to six months in advance to the day that you are requesting. We recommend that you submit reservation requests at least two weeks in advance of your desired dates. Cabins are very popular during the months of May through September so plan early if you want to reserve during that time. We may not be able to fulfill a request that is submitted within 48 hours of your desired date. Request cabins early, especially over a holiday weekend.
For reservations of the cabins, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Viking Lodge Cabin
Caribou Creek Cabin
Nugget Creek Cabin
Esker Stream Cabin (There is a user fee of $25 per night for this cabin, instructions for payment will be in the reservation confirmation email).
Please provide the following REQUIRED information when you request a reservation, otherwise it could delay your request:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number
- Name of cabin you would like to reserve
- Exact dates you would like to use the cabin