Group camping is welcome at Elk Mountain Campground. Reservations are required and are taken on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each group campsite can hold up to 30 people. The minimum to reserve each site is 9 people. The group campsites, #60 and #65 are both located in "D" Loop. Have more than 30 people in your group? You may reserve both sites, but only if the 2nd site has not already been reserved. (The fee of $40.00 per night would apply for this 2nd site.) We encourage groups of more than 30 people to camp at other locations in the Black Hills (i.e. Custer State Park).
Deposit and Camping Fees
The cost for the group site is $40.00 per site/per night. There is a $20.00 non-refundable deposit required to hold your reservation (Cash, check, or money orders only. Checks should be made payable to National Park Service. No credit cards.). Group sites will not be assigned until the deposit is received. Deposits must be mailed in or brought in person to:
Wind Cave National Park
Group Camp Coordinator
26611 U.S. Hwy. 385
Hot Springs, SD 57747
The $20.00 non-refundable deposit offsets the first night's charge. The additional $20.00 of the group camping fee and fees for additional nights are payable upon arrival. These additional fees are paid at the self-registration fee station located along the main campground access road. Please write "Group Campsite" on the fee envelope.
Generally, these fees are not waivable.
Reservation and Information Requests
For information and reservations, call 605-745-4600, give the Group Use Coordinator your contact & group information, the date(s) you would like to reserve, and mail in your $20.00 deposit or bring it to the Visitor Center. A letter confirming your reservation will be mailed to you when a deposit is received.
- Campfire Rings: One per site. Includes cooking grate, which can be placed over the open flames.
- Dump Station for RVs: Not available. Located in nearby communities.
- Firewood: available at no charge. The firewood station is located next to the Self-Registration Fee Station.
- General Store: Not available. Located in nearby communities.
- Grills: Not available
- Parking: each Group Campsite has parking to accommodate a variety of vehicles, including trailers & vans. Overflow parking is available at the Amphitheater parking lot. (Only one RV type vehicle will be allowed for camping per group site)
- Picnic Tables: each Group Campsite has approximately 4-6 picnic tables.
- Recycling/Trash Receptacles: available at locations throughout Elk Mountain Campground.
- Restaurants: Not available in the Park. Located in nearby communities.
- Showers: Not available. Located in nearby communities.
- Vending Machines: available in the Visitor Center.
- Water: Drinking water (potable water) is available at various spigots throughout the campground. Sinks with running water & flush toilets are available at campground restrooms. (Note: water is only available during warmer months of late spring, summer, & early fall before there is a chance of a hard freeze. Once freezing temperatures have been reached, the water is turned off, but may be found in the Visitor Center)