Ballou, William D. 1957. The Formation and Detailed Description of a Portion of Wind Cave (P.O to Rainbow Falls). Geological Engineering Department, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (for partial fulfillment of a Bachelor of Science Degree). 24 p.
Wind Cave is located on the southern edge of the Black hills. The cave was formed in the Pahasapa limestone, by solution, below the water table, which was guided by three fracture systems. Although Wind Cave is the largest of the Black Hills caves, it is relatively dry and lacks abundance of dripstone and calcite crystal features found in other local caves. Traverse #Z1-10 starts at Station 18 of Traverse #Y1-21 and completes the survey of the passage from the Post Office Room to Rainbow Falls. Along the traverse is seen large amounts of clay and limestone conglomerate, popcorn, frostwork and chert. In addition a good example of dripstone, forming stalctites and stalgmites, is seen to Rainbow No further survey is recommended in this portion of the cave.