Historic District - Visitor Center - 1936
The visitor center building was built in 1936. It was designed to blend in with a temporary stream valley to its rear and provide the feeling of natural approaches to the cave entrance. It is a wood framed building covered with yellow-tan stucco. Exterior walls on the back side of the original building are made of sandstone blocks cut from a quarry outside the park, near Hot Springs. Interior rafters are made of rough-hewn timbers. Some of the original features have been modified or covered as a result of a large-scale remodeling project completed in 1980. However, the front of the building bears a strong likeness to the 1935 original.
Last updated: December 28, 2017