Historic District - Elevator Building - 1938
Located 225 yards (206m) south of the visitor center accessible on a footpath. The elevator building was completed in 1938. Like the visitor center, it is built of sandstone blocks taken from the nearby quarry, yellow-tan stucco, and adzed timbers. The elevator shaft itself was completed in June, 1934, and the first elevator installed a year later. The original building housing the elevator was made of galvanized iron.
A second elevator was installed in 1959 and the original elevator was modernized at the same time. In 1998-1999, these two elevators were completely replaced with new equipment. However, the overall appearance of the building, both inside and out, has been changed very little since the days of the Civilian Conservation Corps.