The Great Grave
Walking towards the Shaft Hill from the Visitor Center, there is a fenced off area that is a small cemetery. There is a large marble tombstone with words and names inscribed on what has become known as the Great Grave--
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
ANDREW ROGERS JR.
CROCKETT A. BEWLEY
JACOB D. HALL
MASSACRED NEAR THIS SPOT BY CAYUSE INDIANS NOV. 29-30, 1847.
(Please note -- Isaac Gillen's last name should be spelled Gilliland. Jacob D. Hall should be Peter D. Hall).
The Great Grave houses the bodies of those killed at Whitman Mission on November 29 - 30, 1847. Previous to the placement of the marble tomb in 1897, the bodies had only been protected from wild animals by a mound of dirt and an overturned wagon. The current tombstone is in the same location chosen by the Oregon Volunteers in 1848. On the 50th anniversary of what was called the "Whitman Massacre," the bodies were re-interred in the permanent gravesite.
Written by Tina Boehle
Last updated: March 1, 2015