Home School Day
Spring Date: Thursday October 19th, 2017
Home School students are invited to join us this Fall for our program, 18th Century: Life, Industry and Trade. Using a combination of quality education practices and standards, students will learn about colonial dress, leisure activities, agriculture, iron forging, gabions and military defense. Participants will be broken up into specific groups based on age. For the duration of the event, we ask there be at least one (1) parent or guardian per seven (7) children.
Please arrive at the theater building by the Visitor Center at least fifteen minutes prior to your session time for check-in and to pick up your booklet. We recommend that you dress appropriately for outdoor weather and wear sturdy shoes.
This program is designed for Home School Students only. To prevent overcrowding on the day of the event, we ask that charter, virtual, and/or traditional schools register for our other ranger-led education programs during the academic year, October-May, rather than register for Home School Day.
Sign-in for the first session begins at 9:30 am and the program concludes 12:30 pm. Sign-in for the second session begins at 1:00 pm and the program concludes at 4:00 pm. Maximum number of students per session is 150 students. Registration is on a first come, first serve basis.
This fall we are having special guests from State and National parks, museums and other historical sites come and present at this event.
Below are the offerings for the Fall 2017 Home School Day.
Curriculum Sessions- based upon age
- 3-5 years: Colonial Days Dress and Play- Pottsgrove Manor
- 6-8 years: Agriculture- Archaeology Department and Ranger Beth Dhunjisha
- 9-11 years: Gabions and Military Defense- Ranger Jenn Bolton
- 12-15 years: Iron Forging- Hopewell Furnace National Historical Park
Break Out Sessions
- Printing Press Activity- Independence National Historical Park
- History of America through Stained Glass- Washington Memorial Chapel
- Spies- Archives Department Valley Forge National Historical Park
- 18th Century Medicine- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- 18th Century Woodworking- Maintenance Department- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- 18th Century Weaponry- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- Natural Resources- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- TBA- First State National Park and Delaware State Park
Registration is CLOSED. We will open registration on September 28th 2017.
If you have any questions, please email Jen Bourque at e-mail us