The stone building behind White Haven has served a number of functions over the years, but was used primarily as a summer kitchen and laundry room during the nineteenth century. The structure is what architects call a “double-pen,” a British design that features two side-by-side rooms with gable end chimneys. Early Drawings of White Haven suggest that this structure existed as early as 1840. Enslaved laborers worked in this structure cooking food and cleaning laundry when the Dent family owned the property before the Civil War. There is also evidence suggesting that some of the enslaved cooks may have lived in the attic of this structure.
Last updated: February 27, 2019