The ice house and chicken house functioned as important outbuildings at White Haven. The ice house dates back to roughly 1840 while the chicken house was most likely constructed circa 1850 to 1870. The ice house has a stone base with a stone wall across the structure to separate two different rooms. Ice from local water streams was stored in the north room (facing the walking trace today) with sawdust packed on top for preservation. It is believed the south room housed perishable foods and drinks for refrigeration. The ice house was intentionally built into a soft, sloping hill just south of Little Prairie Creek so that the ice could be stored underground. Enslaved labor most likely did the work of cutting out and storing ice in this structure before the Civil War.
Last updated: February 26, 2019