When the Spanish first arrived in this area, they called the O'odham Indians Pimas. This area of present-day southern Arizona and northern Sonora, Mexico, became known by the Jesuit order of Catholic missionaries as the Pimería Alta, and is still known by the same name today. The Spanish words Pima-ería alta mean "place of the upper Pimas" in English.
Beginning in the 1680's, the lush river valleys of the Pimería Alta attracted Padre Kino and other Jesuit missionaries to the O'odham communities already established along the riverbanks.
Last updated: February 24, 2015