Padre Kino's Quest
This program plays similar to an "escape room" concept, but played over the entire park.
In order to survive the hostile environment of the Pimería Alta, you will need to learn the lessons of Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino -- the region's first and most successful missionary. Participants on the Quest collect all 9 of the "Kino Skill Badges" by taking a kit of mystery tools to different locations around the mission grounds and Santa Cruz River. Each location presents a puzzle exploring a different "Kino Skill." Mastering the skill (using both the place and the kit) solves the puzzle. Solving the puzzle yields the code to a lockbox. Each lockbox holds the badge of completion for the skill.
1) Travel: Go to a location marked on the quest map.
2) Read: Turn to the correct page in your quest journal. Read the instructions.
3) Solve: Complete the challenge. It may be a puzzle, a math problem, a riddle, or a wilderness adventure! It may also require use of a tool from your haversack. Which tool solves which challenge? That’s for you to figure out!
4) Unlock: Use the code you collect from the challenge to open the lockbox.
5) Stamp: Mark the back of the booklet with the stamp from inside the lockbox. These are the skill badges for mission-building. Re-lock the box before you leave.
Up to 10 teams may play simultaneously. There must be at least one adult chaperone with each team of 4-8 students.
***Chaperones play an especially important and ACTIVE role in this program. For guidelines and expectations, please visit and distribute the Chaperone's guidelines to your volunteers.
Total group size limit: 80 students
Visit our Online SignUp to schedule or contact Melanie below.
Pre- and post-visit lesson plans available by email.
- American Indian History and Culture, Anthropology, Architecture, Environment, Geography, Hispanic or Latino American History and Culture, History, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Writing
- National/State Standards:
- 4.L.2, 4.L.3, 4.L.4, 4.L.6, 4.RF.3, 4.RF.4, 4.RI.1, 4.RI.2, 4.RI.3, 4.RI.4, 4.RI.5, 4.RI.8, 4.RI.10, 4.SL.1, 4.SL.3, 4.SL.4, 4.SL.6, 4.W.1, 4.W.2, 4.W.3, 4.W.4, 4.W.9.b, 4.OA.1, 4.OA.3, 4.NBT.2, 4.NBT.4, 4.NBT.5, 4.NBT.6, 4.MD.2, 4.MD.5
- kino, padre, mission, tumacacori, tumacácori, live-action, adventure, escape room, badge, skill, stamp, kit
- Field Trips