- Grade Level:
- Fourth Grade-Eighth Grade
- Colonial History, History, Language Arts, Writing
- 20 Minutes
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
- SS.A.6.2.4, SS.A.6.2.5, SS.B.2.2.2, SS.D.1.2.2, LA.B.1.2.1, LA.B.2.2.1, LA.B.2.2.3
- French colonist, Fort Caroline, Persuasive Letter
OverviewStudents will write a letter from the perspective of a 16th century settler.
Objective(s)Students will be able to write from the perspective of a 16th century settler: a narrative of their experiences in northeast Florida OR an expository letter that explains the processes of daily life OR a persuasive letter about the need for supplies in the new world.
This is designed as a post-visit activity for background information please schedule at field trip at Fort Caroline national Memorial by calling 904.641.7155.
Ask the students if they have ever taken a trip and written a letter or postcard to a family member about the things they saw. Ask them to use their imagination as well as what they learned on their visit to Fort Caroline to write a letter home to France