Traveling the National Road - Travelers and Transportation on the National Road (Unit 3)
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
In “Traveling the National Road (Travelers and Transportation on the National Road)” students will learn about Conestoga wagons, stagecoaches, drovers and emigrants. The materials packet contains teacher background information, two student readings and three activities.
Guiding Question: What kinds of vehicles were used on the National Road? What did Conestoga wagons and stagecoaches look like? What was it like to travel the National Road as you moved to a new home?
Student objectives: Students will…
- List three means of transportation used on the road
- Describe how the Conestoga wagon and the stagecoach operated
- Color a stagecoach or a Conestoga wagon so they look like they would have when they traveled the National Road
- Describe three travelers tools
- Describe a typical day for an emigrant
- List two hardships the emigrants encountered