Last updated: July 24, 2015
Marine Ecology - Water Testing Lesson and Experiment
- Grade Level:
- High School: Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade
- Lesson Duration:
- 90 Minutes
- Common Core Standards:
- 9-10.RST.1, 9-10.RST.2, 9-10.RST.3, 9-10.RST.4, 9-10.RST.8
- State Standards:
- The Living Environment Core Curriculum – High School
- Additional Standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Thinking Skills:
- Understanding: Understand the main idea of material heard, viewed, or read. Interpret or summarize the ideas in own words. Applying: Apply an abstract idea in a concrete situation to solve a problem or relate it to a prior experience. Analyzing: Break down a concept or idea into parts and show the relationships among the parts.
Students will be able to recognize the interdependence of cause and effect on their actions within the ecosystem.
• How is water important in the ecosystem?
• Does our local environment support biodiversity?
• How can we test for biotic and abiotic parameters?
• How has urbanization of Brooklyn affected the ecosystem of Jamaica Bay?
This teacher-led classroom program allows students to use scientific tools to describe ecosystems. Students formulate hypotheses, read maps, and collect and interpret data to come to a conclusion. A visit to Jamaica Bay or other local water sources would be an extension that really solidifies the instruction.
There is a four-day experiment and laboratory lesson plan. The fourth lesson should be conducted on site at a park where water samples were collected.
Print lesson plan materials for students.
Project the power point presentation.
Set up experiments with needed materials.
water test kits
aquarium water (optional)
2nd lesson: water samples from various locations
masking tape for marking samples
Related Lessons or Education Materials
Other Gateway National Recreation Area Lesson Plans
Investigating Bird Migration and Climate Change https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/education/bird-migration.htm
Osprey Migration https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/education/osprey-migration.htm
Marine Invaders https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/education/marine-invaders.htm
Marine Ecology – Water Testing https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/education/ecology-water-testing.htm
Asian Shore Crabs https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/education/asian-shore-crabs.htm